Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Meet the New Boss, Unlike the Old Boss

Reading through my new employer’s handbook a few days ago nearly brought me to tears.

We will, in the spirit of the Sisters [of this group], reveal God’s healing love by improving the health of the individuals and communities we serve, especially those who are poor or vulnerable.
Many resources combine to show God’s healing love.
The greatest of these is our employees.
They must receive from us respect, fair wages,
An environment in which they feel trusted,
And the opportunity to share responsibility for our goals.
They deserve leadership that is capable and just.


In describing the religious order from whence this particular institution arose,
“Whereas the aim of most religious was their own perfection… ‘these Daughters are used… for the salvation and comfort of the neighbor.’”
Repeatedly, [this saint] admonished her Sisters to be “diligent in serving the poor… to love the poor, honor them, my children, as you would honor Christ Himself.”

What a difference from the philosophy of my previous “Christian” employer who paid a salary that hovered near the Federal poverty level (yes, I looked it up) and whose overall guiding principle was “griping is not tolerated”.

I'm so ashamed I ever thought that was acceptable. May God have mercy.

No comments:

Post a Comment